Thursday, April 11, 2013

Switching Gears

Greeting, Gaymers!

It's been over a year and a half since my most recent post. I could attribute it to many things but suffice it to say that life simply tends to get in the way of life and obligations pile up. While I'm not saying I didn't have time here or there to write a piece, I wanted to wait until I could once again pour my whole self back into GAYmer Guide - my little, half-baked, labor of love - before I began to write and review again. I'm pleased to say that I feel I'm once again at a place where I can dedicate myself to the blog. It's been over a year and a half since my most recent post, and I'm back.

20 months away provides one with quite the opportunity for introspection. That's quite a bit of time to look back over old posts and ponder the next step. I've spent no small amount of time reading and re-reading past entries and watching and re-watching old videos. As I scanned through my former musings I noticed two things: the copious amounts of spelling errors, and the near lack of comic book reviews. 

Now, spelling has never been my forte. I once got eliminated from an 8th Grade spelling bee for incorrectly spelling the word "raisin". Comic books, on the other hand... Comic books are my LIFE! I eat, sleep and breathe them. In the morning I chow down my cereal while skimming the pages of a graphic novel and at night I practically dream in comic book panel form. So it remains a mystery to me why I had so few comic book reviews before when comic books are something I am, for lack of a better word in all honesty, obsessed with.

As I contemplated new pieces I could start working on, it became increasingly apparent that comic book reviews were definitely an avenue to explore. With issues being released every two to three weeks, I could release more up-to-date reviews more frequently. Reviews could be much shorter, leaving more time for fluff articles and videos. The only problem was finding a good place to start at. 

My little gaymer prayers were answered in the aftermath of Marvel's Avengers VS X-men, when Marvel wrapped up several ongoing series and started fresh with several new ones. Ones I just so happen to be following and ones that just so happen to still be on single-digit issue numbers. 

I know gay comic book fans spread out of Marvel, into the DC universe and beyond. My fandom, however, does not. I'm a Marvel fan, always have been. That being said, GAYmer Guide is not my lectern, it is my love. Far be it for me to push my narrow tastes on the rest of you. This blog is about having a gay voice in the nerd world and if some of you gaymers out there like DC, then by golly that's what you'll get. As such, in addition to reviewing several of the new ongoing Marvel series, I plan to keep an eye out for any recently released DC titles that I feel are a good jumping off point, and begin reviewing them. I also plan on including other titles, not in the DC or Marvel Universes.

It's an exciting step for GAYmer Guide and I'm beyond thrilled to once again be doing what I love. I hope you'll bear with me as I work out kinks and get the ball rolling again. Of course, I hope it goes without saying, that feedback of any kind is appreciated. Suggestions, comments, shares, or hate mail. It all serves a purpose. 

Live Proud and Game Hard,

AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment